The Counselor in Training (CIT) program at Camp Ocean Pines is for previous campers or CITs who are finishing 9th or 10th grade prior to the start of summer. The purpose is to provide participants with an initial experience in what it takes to run a youth camp program. They will gain experience and feedback in areas such as leadership and responsibility.
The skills acquired during the CIT program are skills that CITs will find invaluable later in life when looking for an after school job or applying for college. There are not many opportunities for teenagers to wield positions of leadership in a way that ensures they understand the minutiae responsibility, so those skills learned in our CIT program are particularly useful.
Though our CIT program teaches teenagers the importance of responsibility, it is also verifiably fun. CITs interact with other campers throughout the day and also get to participate in camp activities.
CITs are highly encouraged to participate in a teen trip – The cost of the CIT program will be waived for those participating in a Teen Adventure Trip!
1. Assist summer camp staff in preparing camp activities
2. Clean and organize camp supplies and areas
3. Assist in running campfire and evening programs
4. Fulfill general needs of the summer camp program
CIT Goals and Evaluation
Upon arriving at Camp Ocean Pines, CITs will work with a program director to create personal goals for their time at camp. They’ll receive consistent feedback on their performance. Upon completion of their time at summer camp, CITs will be given an evaluation of their performance to guide future growth in areas of responsibility and leadership.
Application requirements and dates
- CITS must be previous Camp Ocean Pines campers; whether in summer camp or the Teen Adventure summer youth program
- Potential CITs will have to submit an application, followed by an interview with the summer camp director.
- Parents of CITs will have to complete all the same paperwork required for summer camp participants.
- CITs will be officially considered program participants, not staff.
Our CIT program lasts for one session of summer camp, but CITs can also participate in our Teen Adventure Trips.
Application process for CIT Program at Camp Ocean Pines
- Fill out the camp application – now online here!
- Write a one page letter to the Summer Camp Director explaining your reasons for applying as a CIT.
- Provide two references, at least one non-family (Name, Phone, Address).
- Important: Applications are taken on a first-come first-served basis, so apply soon!
Costs and Fees
Session 1,3,5, 0r 6 – $600
Session 2, 0r 4 – $750
Contact Scott Hicok – Summer Camp Director at Camp Ocean Pines – with any questions: email@example.com